Saturday, September 26, 2009

How Do You Update Your Address with the Utah Division of Water Rights?

In a previous post, I explained how to look up water rights on the Utah Division of Water Rights’ website. Each water right has an owner (or owners) listed at the top of the water right printout, with a corresponding mailing address. Many times, I find that the mailing address listed is incorrect or out-of-date. It is important that water right owners keep this address current. Any notices or other correspondence related to the water right will be mailed to the address on file with the Division. The Division will not actively ensure that the address is correct; rather, the Division relies on the water right owners to notify the Division of any changes.

The procedure to change an address is very simple and can be done online. Once you have pulled up the water right on the Division’s website (see instructions here), click on the drop-down menu in the top left corner and select "Modify an Owners Address." A list of owners will appear. Click the circle next to the owner whose address is to be modified. A new screen will appear where you can fill in the new address. It will also ask for a telephone number and email address to complete the submission.

It is important to note that the address modification procedure can be used only to update the address of a current owner. If the owner has changed (e.g., the water right has been sold, transferred to a trust, etc.) or if the owner’s name has changed (e.g., through marriage), this information must be updated by using a Report of Conveyance.

No comments: